Thursday, October 26, 2017

First Visit

Five years ago, a farm labourer said to me: “I do not know of a White man who ever stayed in any one of our homes.  Would you stay with us?  I think, Sir, that our circumstances would be too humble for you.” I said, “If it is good for you, it is good for me.” He said: “You would?  Do you promise that you will?” I promised him. It was half a year before I took up the invitation.  I arrived at the house just after sunset one evening.  The house overlooked a misty plateau, and it was picturesque.  It was a bitterly cold night.  Chickens were scratching on the lawn, and a hunting dog lay in the doorway by a fire.  His wife placed a candle with a candle-holder in my hand, and boiled some water for coffee (moerkoffie) on a wood-fired stove.  I took this photo.

No comments: