Thursday, October 19, 2017

Spiritual Or Cultural Ministry?

I have said that I wouldn't want to have a Church in middle class suburbia. The reason: it seems hard for me to tell whether such Churches are cultural or spiritual things, or whether the minister is a spiritual or cultural item. In the last few years, I have been invited to apply for several positions. Apart from accepting a consulent ministry, I signalled an interest in one -- but the Church had already made a decision. This Church had several districts, where there was much poverty and trauma. OBSERVATION: I felt that that would be meaningful ministry. That, too, is why I stayed in my city Church in spite of it being tough, and in spite of receiving several calls in that time (three of which overseas). This is not to say that ministry in middle class suburbia is meaningless. Somebody needs to do it. I have done it myself.

No comments: