Monday, October 23, 2017

The Search For True History

I had an essay published this morning on the (critical) philosophy of history: The Search for True History. This is a chapter of my metaphysic, presented in a different form -- a general treatment of how we may arrive at true history. OBSERVATION: In my metaphysic, I further examine the relationship of history to religion. When dealing with secular history, it may seem adequate that we have a mere balance of evidence in hand, or can reach a common-sense judgement as to what in fact happened. Yet this is not a standard high enough for religion. It is inconceivable that religious certainty should be based on any doubt at all. It depends, though, what our criteria are for judging religious history. Basically I say that we do not use the best criteria.

POSTSCRIPT: While my essay has hardly set the world alight, it has received the thumbs-up from an editor-in-chief of US military history: "I much enjoyed your dissection of history, Thomas, and found it spot-on!"

No comments: