Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Violations

I met with a police Captain this morning, over two cases against (mostly) officers of my old Church. One case had to do with fraud, the other with defamation. In both cases, the Captain said, there had been fundamental violations of police procedure. In this sound clip, the Captain and I have just canvassed the situation. I now sum it up. The Captain seeks to be silent. I press him a little. As much as I respect Captain G. Johns, I believe his admission here is important enough to put it up on a blog. At this point in the conversation, I had heard all that I needed to hear -- as is clear from the recording. OBSERVATION: Some years ago, this would have led to immediate corrective steps within the police. It ought to now, but times have changed. Law is not law in South Africa today. In a case which preceded the two cases referred to here, also involving the Church, the police wrote "CORRUPTION" on it, and that was the last I saw. All cases are, however, open-ended at this stage.

POSTSCRIPT: I will add this. It is surely an offence that a Captain knows that two cases under his watch violated police procedure. And I do not feel safe.

No comments: