Saturday, April 14, 2018

Closing The Doors

When I started in city ministry, I took the opportunity, at our first diaconate meeting, to ask the deacons how they saw the future of the Church. The treasurer said: "I see the Church closing its doors." This was not what I had in mind. I meant: "What is your vision for the Church?" The treasurer wasn't unreasonable, though. When I took a good look, we had about six months left to insolvency. The Church was sinking fast -- and as I remember, dipped about R50 000 below zero before we turned the corner. By God's grace it revived, although it took a few years. By the time we reached my twentieth and last year we saw the strongest income in generations. OBSERVATION: Churches are not all you see. They are not what we think in our human wisdom.

No comments: