Saturday, June 9, 2018

Unconditional Ministry

There is a tendency in ministry -- among ministers -- to worry about consequences or outcomes. This includes such simple things as: where is attendance going, what will these people do, will our income improve, and so on. But this has to be tempered with "the unconditional". In an important sense, every significant minister has come to the moment where he or she no longer looks to the consequences, and is no longer swayed, and has said in his or her heart: "What I do here is unconditional. Even in the midst of my own human failings, it is unconditional." This is not meant in the sense that one is unyielding or insensitive to circumstance, but in the sense that one can't afford to think (much) on consequences or outcomes. Without an "unconditional" approach, there would have been no Ambrose, no Luther, no Mother Teresa, or countless others in war, peace, and persecution who are greater than ourselves. For years, I have had the verse on my wall: "He only is my rock and my salvation." That is the beginning and the end of it. OBSERVATION: My own heart has failed me at times. That happens. It has to happen before faith is born. A situation is on my heart as I write this post: a minister refused to enter an explosive situation, because it was risky for his reputation. He was worried about consequences or outcomes.

No comments: