Sunday, November 18, 2018

Misleading The Church

On 29 July this year, I attended a Church Meeting of my old city Church. The audio above begins with the Church treasurer addressing the congregation (click ⊳ to Play). On the surface of it, all seems in good order: the auditor has completed the audited accounts, and so on. Then I received an e-mail from the regulator (the IRBA). The auditor, they wrote, was not an auditor, and this was a criminal offence. On 30 October, then, I went to see the auditor -- I felt that this was the right thing to do. That is the second part of the audio above. I discovered then that there is no auditor, there are no audited accounts, and the treasurer did not have a copy in front of him as he claimed. The audio serves to confirm it:
0:00 ... The treasurer confirms that the meeting is being recorded.
0:06 ... He reports: "The audited accounts have been completed."
0:12 ... He tells the members: "I have a copy in front of me."
0:36 ... He names the auditor.
0:46 ... The Church Meeting accepts all without question.

1:01 ... The auditor denies that he is the auditor: "No. Never. Can't be."
1:15 ... He expands: "I am not entitled or allowed to express any opinion on the merits of the statement at all."
1:28 ... I put it to him: "The Church said that you present audited accounts to the Church." His answer: "No."
1:36 ... He rules out any misunderstanding: "I've never, ever, to my knowledge, said anything to anybody which could lead to that impression being given."
1:56 ... He and I agree that I reply to the regulator that the auditor "is not in fact an auditor of the Church."     Audio: Greg Nichollas, Colin de KockSee also
See also Misleading the Church: What Happens Next. And for what happened next: Audit All Clear? This is what happens, however, when one fails to notify a minister of the Church of a meeting. Normally this invalidates the meeting, if it was held without informing everyone that it was to take place.

No comments: