Thursday, December 13, 2018

Editing Pi

Most of the submissions we receive for the philosophy weekly Pi are publishable -- and of these, say half need minor editing, and half major. My own criterion for taking on a piece, as a co-editor, is whether I can understand it. Mostly I can -- and once I can, it all makes sense within the big picture I have formed of it. Recently a co-editor rejected a piece. I said let me have a go. I received it, but did not understand it. I corresponded with the author to try to get the big picture. Once I had that, I was able to edit it, and the improvement is (I hope) an order of magnitude greater than the changes which were made. OBSERVATION: The subject of the piece is "Misunderstanding". Basically that we have to adjust our whole selves to understand others, not merely look at details of language.

POSTSCRIPT: As for my co-editor, he shifted from rejection to acceptance. We publish by consensus.

No comments: