Saturday, December 8, 2018

Marriage Switch

I saw a doctor yesterday -- who asked me, unusually, whether my marriage to my late wife Mirjam had been a happy one. I said that we were married for nearly thirty years, and our marriage could be divided more or less equally into two parts. The first half was very tense. The second half was warm and positive, such that I was deeply affected by her death. I told the doctor that, half way through our marriage, there was a switch, which changed everything in a moment. It seems hard to describe. She came to the realisation that her husband's life was what God was doing with him -- above all, in ministry. OBSERVATION: Surveys show that it is very hard to be a minister's wife -- not because ministers are a handful, but because ministry itself is "an extreme sport".

No comments: