Thursday, January 3, 2019

Non-Profit Organisation

I called my last Church Meeting (executive meeting) in the city -- see Finance: The Turning Point. I called that meeting, among other things, to "finalise" the registration of our Church as a Non-Profit Organisation (NPO). This is how this came to be. A major purpose of the NPO Act is to ensure that NPOs -- such as Churches -- maintain "adequate standards of governance, transparency, and accountability". And a big part of that is finance. The Church Meeting had approved our registration -- we had amended our Constitution accordingly -- I myself had signed it off -- and the Church Meeting's word was law. As a Church trustee, then, I found that I could not obtain the Church audit, which is serious. I reported to the Department. They got back to me: your Church is not registered. But this should be impossible! It was then that we discovered that our accounts clerk had stopped the Church's registration, without the knowledge of the Church. Therefore I called the meeting to -- among other things -- "finalise" the Church's NPO registration. OBSERVATION: One finds the rest of the story at the link above.

No comments: