Thursday, August 22, 2019

Demurring Denomination

Recently I offered R1 000 and a bottle of champagne for the first person to show me a final settlement agreement with my old city Church. The Presbyterian Moderator said he had it -- but he didn't show me. I asked the Presbyterian Church to send me a copy. They balked at this. Therefore I sent them a PAIA request (a legal request in terms of an Act of Parliament). They refused the request. Today, I lodged a PAIA appeal. OBSERVATION: Two weeks ago, my attorneys wrote: "We are concerned that a false document may be circulating."

POSTSCRIPT: SAHA (the South African History Archive) notes: "Access to information is important because it is necessary for the realisation of the rights to freedom of expression as well as a number of other constitutional rights which are contained in the South African Constitution."

POST-POSTSCRIPT: The Clerk of the Presbyterian Church called me. The Moderator, he said, had not written to me as Moderator, but in his personal capacity. In his personal capacity, therefore, he declared that my ministry and membership were severed, and that I may not attend meetings of my Church. This he did in response to documentation sent to him by a Presbyterian minister. I said, this doesn't look personal to me -- consider, too, that I have just taken this call from the Clerk of the Presbyterian Church. I said, if the Moderator did this in his personal capacity, hold him to account. From what I am told, the Moderator's behaviour is forbidden by Presbyterian order. Not only that, but he is dealing with questionable documentation, to put it kindly.

No comments: