Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Sexual Offenders List

In South Africa, we have an informal system of capital punishment, through which hundreds of people are put to death each year. With calls now to make a Sexual Offenders List public, there are worries that offenders may be put to death or face other, serious retribution. This is a curious situation, which one would not have in other parts of the world. During my ministr(ies), at least three sexual offenders passed through my Churches who were known to authorities. I should have known that they were sexual offenders -- which I did not, at first. OBSERVATION: Perhaps, at the least, the list should be available to ministers, among others -- although ministers are usually tipped off by the community. It would be difficult to check everybody against a list. In my view, there could also be dubious reasons on the authorities' side for not making a list public. For a start, is there a full list?

No comments: