Monday, January 25, 2021

Fedora Workstation

I tested another operating system: Fedora Workstation (pictured). The last time I tried this, it was too cumbersome for my light computer. Now, it was stunning. It was fast and beautiful, a work of perfection. Therefore I made a serious attempt to write a persistent version to USB (which continues without loss through shutdowns). This proved to be very convoluted, and once I had it right, Fedora demanded an "enterprise login". I couldn't figure this out. At this point, I quit. It in return blacked out my computer. I brought my computer back to life by creating a new boot manager, with the help of a second computer. As they say, "You have been warned."

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

I have an older version of Fedora, 17 or 18, I think. I use it mainly to play with, nothing serious, since none of the software I use for serious work runs on it.

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Fedora is magnificent -- in this case Fedora 33. It also has a very good stock of software. But as so often happens, an excellent system falls down on one thing. Here, it falls down on persistence. I have a 10-year-old computer that runs Fedora very nicely. It was packaged with Fedora.