Monday, January 25, 2021

Forthcoming Design

Last year, I developed the Omnidetector, which a publisher has accepted for publication. It can detect a wide range of things, with (very) high sensitivity and (very) high stability. I took an approach that I have never seen before. I ran two oscillators side by side, at high frequency. Then I introduced a controlled lock. So the oscillators, when their frequences get close to each other, lock on to each other. If the frequency in one of these oscillators now changes, the lock breaks. This was not quite enough, though. The oscillators were slightly more reluctant to break lock than to lock. I offset this with a wobbulator, which introduced a fuzziness between the lock and break lock. OBSERVATION: It is good enough to sense a finger moving at a few metres' distance in diffuse light.

POSTSCRIPT: Two days later I received the proofs and checked them. This is due for publication in March by Silicon Chip.

No comments: