Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Things That Didn't Happen

I read this morning of a rape allegation against an Australian cabinet minister (police stated that there was "insufficient admissible evidence to proceed"). I do not know of course what did or did not happen there. This is, however, one of the most baffling things, and it has happened to many ministers -- that they are said to have done things which did not happen. Of course, sometimes they did. Here is just one example in my own experience. I went to visit a woman in a block of flats, and pressed the button in the street -- we had an appointment that morning. She surprisingly said that she did not wish to see me. Then she circulated a report of outrageous things I had said when I sat down in her flat. I had never seen her flat. OBSERVATION: This incident didn't matter much. It was true to character for her, and everybody knew it. But there are more serious incidents. Church history books are full of them. This also suggests: no matter how careful a minister is in going about ministry, it does not help where non-existent things come up.

No comments: