Saturday, April 23, 2022

Electronics and Flora

Somebody asked me this week how I got into electronics and flora. I think it was like this. An electronics enthusiast showed me one day how he could light up a LED off the energy that his (back in the day) cell-phone antenna emitted. It occurred to me then to use all transmitters -- which is, obtain useful energy from thin air, with a suitable antenna. This worked. The design was published, and it won a major prize. Then I thought I could use trees for antennas -- guerillas do that. Then I found that there was more energy in the trees than there should be -- in fact in all plants. Strangely, I discovered, too, that plants were electrically isolated from the soil. Then I wondered what was going on inside plants ... OBSERVATION: I made several discoveries about plants. One of the more interesting applications was "pot plant power" -- which some Japanese researchers soon "borrowed".

No comments: