Friday, July 28, 2023

Cultural Sins

I listened to an interesting sermon recently: how to deal with offences among Christians, or, how to forgive. The teaching in itself was sound, yet the sins against one another, which were given as examples, were cultural. For example (my own examples, which overlap with the sermon), I eat your chocolate, I rifle through your drawers, I steal your money, and so on. These all have to do with privacy and private possessions -- which in some cultures may be treated in almost the opposite way to what they are in mine. OBSERVATION: Here's an example from my own experience. I left some cash on a table. Someone who understood my culture said to me, "Money which is spare is clan money. That will vanish." Now if it had vanished, I might have said, "Who stole my money?" And those who took it might have said, "What a mean accusation."

No comments: