Friday, July 4, 2025

Chaotic Ministry

I consider that ministry is guided by God as much as it is by any personal intentions (Proverbs 16:9). Years ago, I recorded how one typical morning went. It was a "classic". 

"I was doing some administrative work as planned. In the middle of it, I received a reminder that it was Women's Association. I called in there for tea. That replaced some administrative work. I didn't go back to administrative work, because I had intended then to visit member A --  however I discovered that A's address had changed. Instead, therefore, I went to see member B. Yet on the way to B, I met member C -- who said that he needed counsel. Spontaneously, I set aside time for counselling -- and it was a fruitful session. Then it was back to member B. But B didn't have a doorbell, and her front door was behind two sets of bars -- so I had to abandon B. As I turned around, I happened to meet adherent D. I stopped to speak with D for a while. Then I ran into past member E -- and stopped to speak with her. Then it was back to administration, which by now was way behind schedule ..."

2 comments:

Delme Linscott said...

Classic day in ministry. Yip, that about sums it up. How on earth can we pplan for days like this - you just can't!
Blessings to you in your ministry.
Delme

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thanks Delme. Now imagine a Church board asking: "Project your activities for the next week." :-)