Thursday, July 4, 2019

Cape Town's Steepest Streets

In 2011, my hobby for the year was to find the steepest street in Cape Town. I was looking for “sustained slopes”, not just bumps in the road. I identified Upper Longmarket Street as the city's steepest sustained slope at 17°. Then I received a tip on this blog: "Please check out Capri Street in St. James." Over a sustained slope of 25 metres, Capri Street touched 17.8° (see the photo, top). Therefore it probably is Cape Town's steepest street. The official world record is 19° for Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand (the street in front of the house on the right -- but see how it compares with Capri Street, top). OBSERVATION: Cape Town's Capri Street therefore beats San Fancisco's Filbert Street.

2 comments:

JamesTheBok said...

Check out Upper Rhine Rd and Upper Dean Street in Sea Point

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thank you James. I checked out all those roads. Some of them come close. The steepest on that side of Signal Hill is Upper Clifford Road, but it's a section, and I think the record requires a sustained slope.