Thursday, June 13, 2024

Wedding Formalities

This was a popular post, which for inexplicable reasons I removed from my blog. It describes the "formalities" in the run-up to my wedding to a woman of Xhosa descent:

My wedding to E did not just "happen". There were various consultations and negotiations before it even became possible. The "formalities" began with many private meetings together, which resulted in a helpful decision that we were now on a "journey" -- even if it had no destination. E sought counsel from close family (clan) members, and from her minister's wife. I sought counsel from several ministers and close friends. In these discussions, the doors opened. There were some reservations in the mix, but few. Since I am a minister, we decided to take it through a Church process, too. The Church elders were overjoyed, while there was a mixed reaction from Church deacons. About one year after we began the "journey", I proposed to E. A month after that, we celebrated our engagement in the Church -- an occasion with a buzz unlike any. A few months later came the negotiation of the bride price, in which I was successful (this is not to be taken for granted). This involved customary gifts of good will, a "discussion of terms", and the bride price itself. Then it was required of E and me to have a personal interview with the Rt. Revd. Dr. Marioh Marcus of Plettenberg Bay, and to obtain the approval of the Anglican Bishop, the Rt. Revd. Brian Marajh of George (in spite of E and I are both being "born Congregationalists"). In-depth pre-marital counselling was required of us, as well as the expression of a divine calling to marriage. A Presbyterian minister agreed to conduct our wedding: a faithful friend, Rev. Natalie van Rooyen. OBSERVATION: I am glad to marry Ester -- and in the words of family members I feel: "What a huge gift our Lord has given me." The wedding is to be followed by a reception of 100 guests, then (the next day) a larger reception in the country. Thanks to Lu-Gerda's Travels for the superb photo.

3 comments:

Lu-Gerda said...

Congratulations on your wedding. I hope you and Ester will be very happy together.

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thank you very much Lu-Gerda. Pleased to meet you! :-)

Alan Winstanley said...

Warmest congratulations to Thomas and Ester in celebration of your marriage, from all of us here at EPE Magazine, UK