Friday, September 29, 2017

Stated And Unstated Reasons

Whenever there are resignations in a Church, the stated reasons may not reveal all. The stated reason -- the major reason (there were subsidiary reasons) -- for half our Church diaconate resigning in 1998-1999 was their departure from Church polity (principles of Church government). However, I always felt that there were two unspoken reasons besides, and I do not mean to impute these reasons to those who resigned -- rather to reveal what I thought. Firstly, our Church had been through a very hard experience in becoming independent. Ultimately this was a good move -- however, I had been revealed as being vulnerable during that time. I feel that this disappointed people. Secondly, there was a tension between a naturally slow Congregational process, and the keenness and enthusiasm of diaconate members. I was on the side of the slow Congregational process. In any situation, such tension can bring about crisis. OBSERVATION: I did and do have a high regard for those who left at the time. One of them became an effective and enduring minister.

No comments: