Wednesday, September 26, 2018

A Friend Behind Bars

During the recent student uprising in South Africa, I befriended one of the radical student leaders, whose nom de guerre is Propa (pictured) -- like me, the son of a minister. Over lunch one day, he explained to me their ideology, and one night took me to see the damage done by student riots. He had had no part in that, he said. I promised to stand by the students -- as a minister -- as I would in ministry. I was shocked to hear this week that he had been imprisoned on charges of which he had already been acquitted, and was now awaiting bail. OBSERVATION: He is radical, yes, but a fine young man. I was like that, too. He is the kind of man who deserves to be engaged with.

POSTSCRIPT: The state withdrew the charges, and Propa was released.

No comments: