Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Trouble with Music

A major source of conflict in the Church in America is music ministry. An American professor wrote to me, “Let me know if you can solve the tension for us; many people will appreciate that!” I wrote back that there are two things that guide me: 

1. Music ministry cannot be treated in isolation as music in and of itself. It needs (deliberately) to be understood as the desire to exalt Jesus Christ, and an expression of what God has done in people’s lives. This puts it in perspective.

2. the whole Church needs to foster the desire to hold together a complete family of God, rather than this group or that group preferring one style or language without thinking of the whole Body. 

OBSERVATION: In my ministr(ies), our music has been fairly diverse, with different styles and languages – although the more unusual it has been, the more we have done it in moderation. This seems to have been well received.

No comments: