Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Active vs. Dormant Members

I was discussing "active vs. dormant members" today. There are both advantages and disadvantages in dormant members. I would call "dormant" those who have been fairly much uninvolved in the Church for a year. In my first major ministry, a suburban Church, we had 600 members when I arrived. Most of them were dormant -- but they were a powerful crowd when it came to the material development of the Church. My biggest problem with dormancy there was personal frustration. In general, I would think that the biggest danger of dormant members -- something I experienced more in city ministry -- is that they are not in tune with the rest, tending to have secular values. When they are still on the books, they can be aroused, and that can do real damage to the future of a Church.

No comments: