Saturday, May 28, 2011

Solar Spider


I was excited yesterday to discover that, as far as I can see, my 2007 copyrighted concept of an electronic Jumping Spider has gone into production. As simple as it seemed, the prototype took me a year to develop -- the history is told on HubPages. That spider had an external power source -- but I knew that a commercial version would likely need to move most if not all of the power inside the spider. But that was way beyond my engineering skills. It would need to be a very clever engineer who succeeded. Now the Chinese did it, and the end result costs less than R20 / $3 wholesale. It's called the Solar Spider. Although I won't be making any money out of this, and admittedly it's a variation of my design, this could be one of my "big ones" -- and I would think that this is only the first generation -- there'll be better versions to come. OBSERVATION: I also cooked up (unpublished) variations of this theme.

No comments: