Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Designated Funds

Throughout my ministr(ies), we have had a firm policy on, call them designated funds. We do not convert designated funds into contingency funds. Here's an example. In one of the many months of my ministr(ies), we were in a tight spot. There was a suggestion that we should convert a designated fund into a contingency fund -- that is, draw from money that was set aside for something else. I said no. Designated funds are designated. OBSERVATION: Apart from anything else, if people give something for a purpose, that donation needs to be treated respectfully. Yet it is common in Churches to convert designated funds into contingency funds -- say, draw from the building fund to pay the organist. However, I consider this to be ruinous to "investor confidence" -- or to put it positively, in my experience, where we have done away with "fund swaps", our finances have strengthened. I believe it is also a matter of faith to walk the straight and narrow.

No comments: