Saturday, January 10, 2015

Synagogue Service

Today I attended a service of the largest synagogue in the Southern Hemisphere. If I were commenting on it as a Church, I would say that there was peace, sincerity, and a lot of warmth. It was well attended, with a diverse congregation (however, largely mono-cultural). Participation was good, and the content of the liturgy impressive, yet the sermon exegesis (an interesting sermon) was unusually tight. The service lasted three hours, mostly in Hebrew. Men and women were seated separately, which one sees in the fewest Churches today. The weekday programme was both balanced and ample. Again, if I were commenting on it as a Church, I would be puzzled by references in the liturgy to our "worthiness". OBSERVATION: The occasion was the bar mitzvah of one of my wife's charges (she is an au pair) whom she met the day he was born. Congratulations, Aaron.

No comments: