Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Chief, Taped

I was traumatised last week through my encounter with a local police chief. It would not leave me all week. I had entered Cape Town's central police station to open three cases (my plan was to discuss them first). What happened next was extraordinary -- and with no further progress through police channels, I am putting three (noisy) sound clips on my blog:
1. In these clips, the chief refuses three sets of charges. He does so after he places a call. I ask him who he just called (he does not reply).
2. I ask him for his name and his rank. Scanlen, Lieutenant Colonel. He asks me to leave the police station. One hears my disbelief. He can't have read what he is refusing.
3. I say to an officer nearby: "There's a problem." She appears to say: "Yes Sir, I believe you." 
OBSERVATION: Citizens have rights, and these rights need to be upheld. The right to report crimes is high on the list. I am deeply unsettled by the thought that I (and others) may not have that right. But apart from that, it is the NPA which stops charges, not the police. I have had mindless charges laid against me in my time. The police couldn't stop them -- the NPA did. After the incident above, I had these cases double-checked. Yes they were sound, I was told.

No comments: