Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Love And Race

I have put great effort into making ministry non-racial. This might sound easy: just treat everyone the same way. But it is not like that. Whites have their own transport. Blacks do not. Blacks talk freely about their faith. Whites do not. Whites are a phone call away. Blacks are not. And so on. Which is speaking very generally indeed. However, such things -- and there are many more -- make "equality" a complex assessment in a Church. Am I giving all believers due consideration? Above all, am I helping them to grow in their faith -- and am I helping them to help others? I myself have been mortified when one or the other seemed to be overlooked or undervalued. OBSERVATION: Someone wrote to me this week that a Church which is (or was) majority Black had called a couple who had 2% Black friends on Facebook. I replied: "I'm pleased they've met some Blacks." But seriously, what does one mean by the "due consideration" that I speak about? It is not a simple assessment. Or maybe it is. It is about love.

No comments: