Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Church And Culture

There are a number of ways of dealing with culture in the Church. There are Churches which are very mixed, or markedly mixed, so that one needs to think on the issue. Here are five ways of approaching it that I can think of: 1. Create a mono-culture in a Church. Some Churches do this deliberately. 2. Suppress cultural distinctions. All are welcome, if they conform, by and large. 3. Live above cultural distinctions. Develop policies which treat all equitably. 4. Openly come to terms with cultural issues. Spell them out and address them. Or, 5. Deliberately celebrate cultural distinctions in the Church. OBSERVATION: I have personal experience of all five. My own approach has been no. 3. I often attend a Church which follows no. 4. I think I would now temper no. 3 with other approaches.

No comments: