Tuesday, December 5, 2017

More Edgy Metaphysic

A literary agent asked me a question none other did: which confusions did I wish to clarify through my metaphysic? Above all, I wrote:
• Words have long been viewed as the "atoms" of language. It is a mistake. There is a sub-atomic world. Once one gets to grips with this, everything changes.
• Many philosophers, wrote Bertrand Russell, have maintained that relations are the work of the mind, while things in themselves have no relations. But the mind is a neural network. "Things" do not reside there. It is on the basis of such mistaken thinking that several major philosophical impasses exist today – among them the fact-value distinction.
OBSERVATION: I work on large documents in "sweeps" – therefore I added a sweep to all thirty-three chapters of my metaphysic: to make it more "edgy", by addressing confusions.

No comments: