Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Grief And Depression

Psychology Central states: "Grief and depression occupy two quite different psychological territories." Here is my own account. When my wife died, I suffered severe grief -- being emotional (sometimes tearful) and dropping weight and so on -- and this in public. A deaconess in particular advised me to get assessed professionally, for depression. But when I had the depression test, it revealed "no depression". It did not even register minor depression. My doctor tested me several times over a full year (he used the Hamilton and Zung tests) -- and, nothing. And by that time I was not in the state I was in at first. OBSERVATION: I agree: a grieving person may not be depressed -- and so it is commonly said. Perhaps I can put it like this: in depression, the "life" in one's spirit dies, while in grief it does not.

No comments: