Saturday, March 3, 2018

My Experience Of Land Grabs And Land Claims

This post is not so much about the politics of it as my personal experience of land grabs and land claims:
• At the end of World War II, the Soviets seized a valuable property from my family, without compensation. Two generations later, we were compensated.
• I used the money I received from the Soviets to buy a property in South Africa. This was seized in an invasion. I got half the money back, and used it for my education.
• Wife E and her clan have been involved in a land claim for years. But it seems to be a complete muddle. Nobody can finish it.
• Other members of E's clan were granted land in the Eastern Cape, of a White farmer. But the project failed, because the state was unable to protect the land. The tractor (the bits of it that are left) still stand there.
OBSERVATION:  My own surname "Scarborough" is pure Viking. The Vikings of course grabbed land -- and massacred the people. That wasn't the end of it, though. The Vikings themselves were massacred in revenge. For example, St. Brice's Day Massacre.

No comments: