Saturday, June 16, 2018

No Proposals

My first ever proposal to a diaconate, in 1984, came as a shock to me. I had read this article in a Roman Catholic newspaper. Out of these Ten Commandments, at least seven had something to do with a Church's need for a copy machine -- and we didn't have one. I proposed that we buy one. We had the money. But my proposal was turned down unanimously. I stuck this article to my wall, and have kept it to this day. About a year later, a member asked for an audience with the diaconate. He proposed that they buy a copy machine. His proposal was passed unanimously. OBSERVATION: After this, I seldom put proposals to a diaconate. In most of my meetings, there were no proposals from the minister -- only discussions -- sometimes robust discussions. This worked.

No comments: