Sunday, August 9, 2020

Ad Verecundiam

One often comes across the ad verecundiam fallacy, namely that something is true because it comes "on authority". It can be subtle, though. Here are some examples.
 I asked a Police Colonel for a copy of a docket. An officer helped me prove that it had been stripped. The Colonel refused my request, but wrote ad verecundiam that everything was in order.
 I asked the Presbyterian Moderator for a copy of an agreement he claimed to have. He deleted it, but a Presbyterian Minister wrote ad verecundiam, repeating what was supposedly there.
 A more obvious case. I entered a police station, where an elderly woman sought to report a crime. A Captain ordered her out. He shouted, Do you see these stars? I am a Captain! Get out!
POSTSCRIPT: Thanks to a reader who pointed out that I used, incorrectly, "ex verecundiam" (I also had it, correctly, "ad verecundiam" -- also called "ab auctoritate").

No comments: