Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Permission To Make Mistakes

I sense that one of the biggest problems surrounding police behaviour in South Africa (see yesterday's post) is that they are not allowed to make mistakes, not allowed to admit weaknesses, and that in an extreme environment. One might respond, but you are (I am) holding them to account for their "mistakes" (to use a kindly term). Rather the opposite. I am asking for apology for their "mistakes" (to open up, not shut down), with the purpose of putting everything to rest. OBSERVATION: From my inside experience of the South African police force, through ministry, if they were to tell it openly, I think that one would look on them very differently. (Then) Commissioner Van Tonder once said something to me which stayed with me, and changed my outlook: "My men are too depressed to get up from their desks."

No comments: