Friday, January 15, 2016

New Metal Detector

I wrote a post yesterday as a by-product of a draft article I wrote on the scientific method. My post described how I conceived the (journal published) CCO metal detector. In the process of writing the post, my eye fell upon a caption underneath a diagram on the "stability of self-oscillations" (pictured). Then, shortly after I awoke in the morning, a principle for a metal detector appeared in my head -- based on a TCO (a transformer coupled oscillator) which would break into oscillation (alternatively, fall silent) at the presence of metal: this is all one needs to know, to build it. It is almost certainly a new metal detector principle (to add to BFO, IB, PI, and a few others), and it certainly will work. I further predict that it will discriminate. And I predict that it will be very easy to adjust. However, without experimentation, I am uncertain about possible frequency lock (of a kind), and whether it will match the performance of other genres. OBSERVATION: The scientific method, most simply, has four stages: characterisations, hypotheses, predictions, and experiments, in that order. So what is interesting here is that I have the certainty of an invention in my head, apparently without most of the scientific method. I don't even have the time to construct this experimentally, but I would be interested if anyone does. Let's call it SOO, or Self-Oscillating Operation. Apparently invented on this day.

No comments: