Sunday, September 30, 2018

Student Elections

I follow student affairs in Cape Town with some interest. This week, various universities voted for their Student Representative Councils. At this stage, it looks like a clean sweep for the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF). They campaigned on this platform (right). The tendency of these items is clear, and was backed up by posters individually advertising these points. OBSERVATION: It seems to me that various issues should have been university administration issues, not Student Representative Council issues, as they are. The EFF were very well organised for this election, and opponents' posters, such as "KEEP CALM AND JOIN PASMA" (the Pan Aficanist Congress, or PAC) seemed weak by comparison. I spoke to a student this morning, who told me: "The EFF have already assigned someone to me who I may go to." The EFF is typically characterised as "far left", and proclaims "the coming revolution" . It is South Africa's third biggest political party.

No comments: