Sunday, September 1, 2019

Moon Bible

I don't have many Bibles, but I have some most unusual ones. One of them is the "Moon Bible", of which 100 copies were sent to the moon. It looks to me that I have a numbered copy no. 715 (pictured). Just over an inch square, this was a "showcase" for NCR Corporation's PCMI® Microform technique. The text can be read under a microscope at about 100x magnification. Each text character is 8 micrometres high. OBSERVATION: The copies were sent to the moon on Apollo 14, in honour of Edward White II, who was killed in a flash fire on the launchpad of Apollo 1.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As it happens, I am just starting to give lectures on the history of how we got the Bible to get people more interested in God's word. I have several rare bibles that I use to give folks a hands-on sense of that history and have been looking for one of these NCR microform Bibles that scripture has been important enough to some people to even have it taken to the moon. I would love to acquire a copy and am wondering if you might be interested in selling yours to help others get more excited about reading God's word. If so, please email me at sphinney@gmail.com. Thanks & God bless.

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

I would love to say yes, but I prefer to keep it! I took a look for a copy on the Internet. Amazon says 'Currently unavailable'. I see that if it's one of the copies that went to the moon, the starting price at auction last year was $50 000. But a copy that didn't go to the moon may be about $100. You might obtain a copy here: https://picclick.com/Rare-Vintage-Holy-Bible-NCR-Microform-National-Cash-254337347872.html