Saturday, November 2, 2019

Dead Chapter

This week, I sent a chapter of my metaphysic (panoramic philosophy) back to an editor: "It feels dead.  Why does it feel dead?" My editor replied: "I don't find this section dead, I find it quite interesting!" That's encouraging. It is hard to assess one's own work. OBSERVATION: In my metaphysic, I develop new foundations for personal ethics -- followed by new foundations for public ethics. There are two levels to any such discussion. First, one needs to find a way to describe the ethics. Second, one needs to find a way to motivate it. The philosopher Richard Joyce put it like this:
"The bigger problem in moral philosophy is what happens if someone does not want to be good ... How am I rationally required to hold 'good' as a value, or to pursue it?"

No comments: