Monday, July 29, 2024

Bank Blunder

My bank has gone into panic mode. It is bombarding me with e-mails (eight so far) to the effect that it is investigating a problem. Through online banking, I called up a screen and bought some data. Then I called up another screen and made a money transfer. Then I called up the first screen again, and bought some more data -- I clicked on "Buy Again". But my bank had transferred the details of the money transfer to the "Buy Again" click. My data went to the recipient of the money transfer. I lost about R2,000 ($100). OBSERVATION: How much money lost before the programmer knew about this mistake? It depends.

POSTSCRIPT: This episode ended like this. My bank delayed the issue until the information was erased from my account, reported that "we are unfortunately unable to go back", and asked me to send the information which had been erased. This was First National Bank. I pointed out that they were able to go back in one sense: see if they can replicate the problem.

No comments: