Sunday, July 28, 2024

Keeping Numbers Up

A minister said to me, "The one thing that bothers me about our Church leadership is that they are obsessed with numbers. I tell them that numbers are a product of something else! They say yes absolutely, then they go straight back to obsessing with numbers!" OBSERVATION: Like him, I have had a general unconcern about numbers. I have had a rough idea, though, of how many people were in Church, because there is inevitably someone who counts. Numbers, though, may not be connected with one's own Church as much as all the Churches, whether it be for a single Sunday or for a season.

POSTSCRIPT: I first started this post with, "My mentor ..." and erroneously changed it to "My minister". The post now correctly kicks off, "A minister said to me ..." Not "My minister".

No comments: