Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hope And Strength


Though I'm on leave for most of January, I might drop a post or two as I have opportunity. This is the VGK (in English: Uniting Reformed Church) which I attended on Sunday in Bredasdorp, a village at the southern tip of Africa. The basic theme of the sermon was that Christ overcomes -- not least when we are at the far side of of our own hope or strength. In short, God is an interventionist God -- of foresight, power, and tender mercy. OBSERVATION: This resonated with me, as it is a fundamental emphasis of our own Church. In the VGK on Sunday, though, it was put across somewhat mystically, while the preaching and testimonies in our Church seem to be more "hands on". This VGK was built in 1961, and the architect is W. de W. Bronkhorst. You may click on the image to enlarge to VGA.

No comments: