Sunday, January 17, 2021

Informal Memorials

Typically a memorial service is held in a Church. I have, however, conducted a few with a difference -- in more cosy circumstances, more informally. For instance, a 96-year-old Church member passed away. The family wished only for a cordial gathering and a buffet. We met in a cosy Church hall, with chairs in a circle, buffet in the middle. I began with a short, warm tribute to the deceased, and said a prayer. I announced that, after the buffet, I would invite anyone at all to come forward to give a tribute. When the time came, about half a dozen people came forward -- and this was the highlight of the service. I closed with sentences and a prayer, and we sang a hymn. OBSERVATION: If the tributes had been prepared, I doubt that they would have been as good. However, I have discovered that this same approach can go wrong -- with reference now to the informal tributes. Perhaps it depends on the company that the deceased had kept.

No comments: