Friday, May 18, 2018

Tamana Church

I found this old slide last night. Tamana Church, February 1966. My father took the photo. The amazing thing about this Church is that it was built on a remote tropical island less than two square miles in size -- and it was well built. In those days, Tamana was extremely remote. On Google Maps it is here: 2°30'02.6"S 175°58'49.1"E OBSERVATION: The man who designed and built it was William Reiher. Just last week, his grand-daughter Adlih Ztuhcs got in touch with me.

1 comment:

M.B.Tokintekai said...

Hello Sir/ Madam, Thank you for sharing this photo of yours. is it possible if you have any other photos of the church? sorry to ask but I have so much interest in knowing the history of this amazing building. My Dads' parents are from this island and I am interested in its history, as I have searched the net only a few came up and no record of the church of how it was built and who were the people involved. I am currently studying at Fiji National University doing my civil engineering bach. and with all my heart I am interested in knowing more about this church as to be honest I would like to do a project about the building itself and history. Currently, the church when we visited it last year during Christmas, it still glorious but not standing as magnificent as in your photo. the bell tower has been dismantled around 18 years ago as it was failing. So sir/madam, if possible if you can help me with more information relating to the church. Thank you and God bless, Looking forward to your reply.