Thursday, July 12, 2018

Touching Gesture

I am thankful to my African family that they eased me gently into the African way of life. They were very considerate. There are some classic differences between my European roots and Africa ("Read my book"). Anyway, I stayed last week and the week before in a house measuring just six by five metres / yards, with four adults and eight children (that includes me) and few of the comforts of home. But apart from taking ill before the end of it, I left there with lifted spirits. There was a touching gesture at the end. Two of the children came through the front door and stood at some distance from me. One of them said softly in Afrikaans: "We want to thank you for sharing this house with us. It was a special pleasure to have you in our midst." (I can't think why).

No comments: