Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hero Of The Faith

This is one of my favourite photos. The last time I blogged about this man, I called him a "hero of the faith". Earlier this month I attended his funeral. The funeral or memorial being packed out when I arrived, I stood against the wall. Some people will skip Church for the faintest shadows of reasons, yet some will “of course” attend Church no matter what. Having broken his foot the previous week, he here considered that skipping Church for so small a reason was no option. As you see, he needed some help to get in and out. Always faithful and helpful over very many years -- and dead serious about his faith -- he is one of those good folks who may have been much underrated. OBSERVATION: Much of his appeal was that he was a "transparent" man, his feelings close to the surface. He did a lot of painting and restoration in the Church. Another Church once did some restoration that he, at the same time, did for love -- and it cost them R40 000.

No comments: