Saturday, November 14, 2015

Publishing Success

One of my secrets to publishing success has been extreme persistence. An example that stands out for me is a project I designed for Silicon Chip magazine (Body Detector), which I re-engineered four times (a single engineering job is a very great effort). But one needs, too, to have an editor who sees the potential, and will put up with re-writes: most, I think, don't! My breakthrough in philosophy (Revisiting Aristotle's Noun) came about after I re-shaped and re-submitted a paper four times (high level papers also require a very great effort). This implies, though, that one is able to see the value in what one has written (perhaps rather, the value of the content), and stands by it, even if it gets trashed. OBSERVATION: What prompted this post was the acceptance of an essay last night (subject to further edits!) which I radically re-fashioned three times.

No comments: