Saturday, December 19, 2015

My Fifth Ministry

Out of the blue, I received a call to minister in the semi-desert. It was a call to the last English-speaking Church in town: Ladismith United Church. What a difference this was to urban ministry. Mainly, there was a far keener spiritual interest. And people had time. My coming saved the Church from imminent sale -- this was of vital importance. Former numbers were restored, and finances soared. My stipend was doubled. But it soon became clear to us that there was a ceiling. Not only that, but I came on the eve of an exodus of English-speakers from the village. Within a year, most regular members had moved away not only from the town but from the semi-desert. They even stopped the English newspaper in town. The Church board invited a bilingual congregation to take our place, and for the first time in its history, the Church was full. OBSERVATION: The Church had been saved, my job was done -- I remain on only as title-head -- and we all said, God works in mysterious ways. The photo shows a Church banquet.

No comments: