Tuesday, December 15, 2015

My First Ministry

I am setting aside a few posts to survey my (so far) five ministries, with personal observations on each ministry, looking back.

My first ministry was a Church plant in Cape Town: the Rondebosch Fellowship. I was a final-year student then, joined after a while by another final-year student, now a minister in Durban. It was a good ministry, and people were sorry to see it close. But my fellow-pastor and I graduated and moved on. We had to go. We did, however, manage to build a devoted congregation in that time, even life-long friendships. It was the first time I experienced loyalty towards my ministry, which became a feature of later ministries. OBSERVATION: Looking back, I can hardly believe that final-year students were expected to make a Church plant work. If critical mass in a Church is fifty people (in my view), we didn't obtain it. But Church plants are not just about congregations. They matter to the Kingdom of God, and they serve to prepare ministers (and people) for future ministry. The loyalty, I think, was a reflection of our own loyalty -- to the task, and to the people.

No comments: